Re: v3 protocol & string encoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: v3 protocol & string encoding
Date: 2004-05-31 04:04:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com> writes:
> The encoding of user & database names was my main concern. If they can
> only be 7-bit ASCII in practice, that's easy..

Well, you can *try* using other encodings, but there are enough known
problems that I don't think it will work pleasantly unless client and
server encodings are the same all the time.

>>> 2) At what point in the stream does a client_encoding change take effect
>>> -- immediately after the corresponding ParameterStatus message, or at
>>> some other point?
>>
>> ParameterStatus is sent when the change is made.

> Are the strings in the ParameterStatus encoded with the old or new
> client_encoding?

Okay, make that "sent just after the change is made". So it looks like
you should receive a string in the new encoding. I can't offhand think
of a way to test this though --- are any of the reported settings
interesting from an encoding standpoint?

> Is it safe to assume that 7-bit ASCII
> is always encoded unchanged regardless of the encoding in use?

Hm. This is true for all the "backend-safe" encodings but I believe
not for all the supported client encodings. Tatsuo might have more of
a clue than me about likely failure cases.