FW: Dumping a query result to a table

From: "Daniel Malcolm Webb [dbw]" <dbw(at)aber(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: FW: Dumping a query result to a table
Date: 2008-10-22 13:56:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I've been searching for the answer to this question but Google is not
playing ball. Basically I have a terrible database adaptor (long story,
but basically all I can use at the moment) for Ruby that doesn't seem
to be compatible with PSQL 8.3, and so I can't run this query below from
it. So best thing to do I thought would be to dump the results of the
query to a single table and just query that table. Is this possible?
(and yes this query is a mess and is returning too many rows at the
moment)

SELECT question_stem, option_text, author_id, QR.module_code, correct,
weighting, question_option.option_id, feedback FROM question Q

LEFT JOIN assessment_question_option_stat AQO

ON AQO.question_id = Q.question_id

LEFT JOIN question_module

ON question_module.question_id = Q.question_id

LEFT JOIN question_option

ON question_option.question_id = Q.question_id

LEFT JOIN question_response QR

ON QR.question_id = Q.question_id

LEFT JOIN question_objective

ON question_objective.question_id = Q.question_id

LEFT JOIN question_keyword qk

ON qk.question_id = Q.question_id

Kind Regards,

Dan Webb

Swyddog Datblygu a Chynnal Systemau Gwybodaeth

Information Systems Development & Support Officer

Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth Information Services

Prifysgol Aberystwyth Aberystwyth University

E-bost / E-mail: dbw(at)aber(dot)ac(dot)uk

Ffon / Tel: (01970) 628408