Re: PostgreSQL questions

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Carel Combrink <s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL questions
Date: 2010-03-18 05:55:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Till Postgres 8.4 the NOTIFY commands could get lost,
>
> That is certainly false.

I meant 'notifications' and not NOTIFY commands.

I haven't looked at the code but picked it from a recent presentation by
Addrew Dunstan. The presentation at
http://www.pgcon.org/2008/schedule/events/107.en.html looks similar.

Slide 9 says:

Events can be lost!
– If the same event occurs between two calls on
collection by a backend, it will only see one of them
– Because pg_listener has one row per (event,
listener) pair.

And I think these limitations are being remedied by the new implementation
in 9.0.

Best regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device