Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-30 07:01:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> But since you mention it: one of the plausible answers for fixing the
> vacuum problem for read-only slaves is to have the slaves push an xmin
> back upstream to the master to prevent premature vacuuming. The current
> design of pg_standby is utterly incapable of handling that requirement.
> So there might be an implementation dependency there, depending on how
> we want to solve that problem.

I think it would be best to not make the slave interfere with the master's
operations; that's only going to increase the operational complexity of such
a solution.

There could be multiple slaves following a master, some serving
data-warehousing queries, some for load-balancing reads, some others just
for disaster recovery, and then some just to mitigate human errors by
re-applying the logs with a delay.

I don't think any one installation would see all of the above mentioned
scenarios, but we need to take care of multiple slaves operating off of a
single master; something similar to cascaded Slony-I.

My two cents.

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device