Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside
Date: 2007-01-02 18:04:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/2/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> E.g., no GUC parameter. Just change the behavior or don't.

Please refer the conversation beginning at:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-05/msg00249.php

That is where this TODO item came from. In the conversation, it was
understood that such a change would break many applications, hence one of
the option was to introduce a GUC var and keep it on by default, and a
couple of releases later, remove the GUC and make the behaviour default (
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-05/msg00273.php).

This would help the programmers can realize that they are doing something
wrong, and they can make appropriate changes to their code.

The usability of the GUC comes in a production environment, where it is not
possible to change the application. The DBA can buy some time by turning the
GUC var off.

I submitted a patch, which was incorrect and incomplete as I was _very_ new
to PGSQL. I could not follow up on it as I was switching jobs at the time.

Tom objected to the default=ON setting for the GUC.

The TODO has been declared "misconceived", but I guess there's still
interest out here. Would like to finish it once we reach a consensus.

Best regards,

--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com