Re: bug in on_error_rollback !?

From: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Richard Troy" <rtroy(at)sciencetools(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Bernd Helmle" <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: bug in on_error_rollback !?
Date: 2006-10-29 04:58:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/29/06, Richard Troy <rtroy(at)sciencetools(dot)com> wrote:

> ALWAYS presume case sensitivity and code _exactly_ that
> way every time.

That makes a lot of sense for a C/C++/Java/(any other case-sens. lang.)
developer. And perhaps SQL developers too should adopt it; but sadly (for
nay sayers), the SQL standard doesn't require them to (and for good reason);
and as is said in the PG community very often, 'who are we to question the
standard?'.

(And develop you're own capitalization standard, too, so
> you'll always know which way it goes.) You'll never be disappointed that
> way and you won't create hidden bugs.

I'd be at the losing end all the time that way; 'coz every package has it's
own coding style, (take PG for example), and I'd hate to see myself, or
anyone else, to dirty the code by using a new, although consistent in
itself, coding style. In a package developed in a case-sensitive language,
I'd always want to code the way the earlier devils (I mean devels) had.

Seems like its time to crawl back under my rock.

--
gurjeet[(dot)singh](at)EnterpriseDB(dot)com
singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com