Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] psqlodbc - psqlodbc: Put Autotools-generated files into subdirectory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] psqlodbc - psqlodbc: Put Autotools-generated files into subdirectory
Date: 2007-05-10 04:20:46
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Robert Treat wrote:
>> It's generally a very bad idea for a BSD licensed project to include lgpl
>> licensed code

> Psqlodbc package is LGPL licensed and seems to have little problem to
> include copy of BSD licensed code as a part of it.

Right, that direction is fine, it's the other way around that's
problematic (because adding some BSD code adds no new restrictions on
what users can do with an overall-LGPL project, whereas having some LGPL
components in a supposedly BSD project does limit what they can do with
it). I don't see any reason why you shouldn't include those PG autoconf
macros in psqlodbc. You just need to document that they have a BSD
license, in case someone wants to use them by themselves.