Re: Trigger causes the server to crash with SEGV

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: vlad(at)crystalballinc(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trigger causes the server to crash with SEGV
Date: 2001-06-01 19:17:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I tried it here. I don't get a crash; I get a rather long delay and
then

psql:vlad.sql:61: NOTICE: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function sp_loc_parent_check
psql:vlad.sql:61: NOTICE: line 12 at return
psql:vlad.sql:61: ERROR: Memory exhausted in AllocSetContextCreate(8192)

which is not too surprising seeing that your function is in an infinite
recursion (chasing the loop 96 -> 15 -> 3 -> 96 that your insert has
created).

It would be interesting to know why your copy SEGV's rather than
recovering gracefully. Can you provide a debugger backtrace from the
coredump?