Re: the PostgreSQL Elephant

From: "Fred Moyer" <fred(at)redhotpenguin(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the PostgreSQL Elephant
Date: 2004-07-10 00:47:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>> If the elephant is not an "official" logo, then it's a non-issue.
>
> Just checked Amazon, and the O'Reilly PHP book uses a bird:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565926102/qid=1089417846/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-3442116-8275826?v=glance&s=books
>
> bluejay, if I'm correct ...
>
> but nothing I can find on their official web site (except that one
> conference image) indicates any animal at all ...

If there really is a potential confusion in people's minds at the
conference about the PostgreSQL mascot then perhaps what is really needed
is one of these with the PostgreSQL name on it handing out LiveCDs:

http://www.funfolly.com/h/mascots/c1744.htm

It's about $900 but perhaps the money could be raised by driving traffic
from the mail lists to a paypal link on the pg site. If nothing else it
would prove the PostgreSQL community has a sense of humor... :)