disabling seq scans

From: "Marcus Andree S(dot) Magalhaes" <marcus(dot)magalhaes(at)vlinfo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: disabling seq scans
Date: 2004-04-01 20:27:22
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, guys,

We're experiencing a little problem with one of our queries.
It isn't using an index specially created for it. When we
disable seq scans with psql, we can ensure the query finishes
much faster than without using index, as it should be.

So, whats the best procedure in this case, but when have a
JDBC based client? Do we mess around with planner
settings even when all other queries are using the best
index for them?

Is it safe (but some may find ugly) to issue a command to
disable seq scanning from the java side?

Since we're using the pooled connection classes that comes
with the JDBC3 driver, once a connection is got from the pool,
do we need to explicitly set seq scanning to true? This is
assuming the later option is the more recommended one...

TIA