Re: reproducable command sequence to get "mdopen: Couldn't open..."

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reproducable command sequence to get "mdopen: Couldn't open..."
Date: 2000-10-16 01:41:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> NOTICE: Caution: beyond this point, a mis-spelled attribute name will
> corrupt your database

How many distinct kinds of typos do you think the message should
mention? I'd think something like that would be more confusing
than not, since it implies that only some kinds of errors are bad.

Personally, I'd vote for disallowing ALTER RENAME inside transaction
blocks until we can do it safely. But people seem to think it's too
useful to do that...