Re: Debian Squeeze - no xml support for Pg 9.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Volkmar Herbst" <volkmar(dot)herbst(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debian Squeeze - no xml support for Pg 9.2
Date: 2012-09-26 23:08:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Volkmar Herbst" <volkmar(dot)herbst(at)gmx(dot)de> writes:
> I rebuild with /usr/local/pgsql/postgresql-9.2.0/configure --with-libxml
> --with-python. Configuring make and make install went well.

OK ...

> However I get an error in postgres doing xml operations:
> select '<test></test>'::xml
> ERROR: unsupported XML feature

Then you're not actually using a postmaster with xml support in it;
most likely, you're still talking to the previous build. Did you
restart? Did you make sure to select the same install directory and
default port as before? (Debian's build of postgres is quite
nonstandard in these respects, so it seems likely that you'd need more
configure options than you mentioned in order to have a drop-in
replacement for a Debian build. But not being a user of Debian's
package I'm not the best person to ask for details.)