Re: Fwd: Cannot pass null in Parameter in Query for ISNULL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bernard <bht237(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Cannot pass null in Parameter in Query for ISNULL
Date: 2012-05-12 15:06:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Bernard <bht237(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> May I ask for suggestions for a way forward towards a solution?

The long and the short of this is that your application, which
presumably knows what it might pass for this parameter, has to provide
that type information (by means of using the appropriate setXXX call).
If the server's parser tries to guess a type, that will simply move the
pain from this case to other cases, namely those where the choice really
matters and it guesses wrong. Similarly, the JDBC driver doesn't have
enough information to make a correct guess.

Having said that, it's interesting to wonder how much would break if
setObject were to arbitrarily assume the data type is TEXT. The
response to anybody complaining would be more or less what I'm saying
to you, which is "don't use setObject if you don't like the results".
Again, this would only be shifting the pain from some cases to others,
but I wonder whether there would be more or fewer pain cases.