Re: Behaviour of rows containg not-null domains in plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Postgresql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Behaviour of rows containg not-null domains in plpgsql
Date: 2008-02-24 19:16:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> Plus, the fact that we don't support "default" specifications in
> pl/pgsql for row types turns this inconvenience into a major PITA,

You mean initialization expressions, not defaults, correct?  (I would
consider the latter to mean that whatever attrdef entries were attached
to the rowtype's parent table would be used implicitly.)

> Is there some difficulty in implementing row-type defaults, or is it
> just that nobody cared enough about them to do the work?

The second statement is certainly true, I don't know about the first.
Feel free to take a shot at it.