Re: PREPARE and transactions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Subject: Re: PREPARE and transactions
Date: 2004-06-25 14:02:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
> 1. Add a "soft" bit to prepared-statement plans
> 2. Add rollback bookkeeping for prepared statements, which sets the bit
> 3. Accept identical re-preparations of "soft" statements, clearing the bit

That sounds awfully ugly :-(

It occurs to me that a lot of the problem would go away if we allowed
DEALLOCATE of a nonexistent statement to not be an error (seems like
a NOTICE would be be plenty). Then you could just unconditionally
DEALLOCATE anything you were about to PREPARE, if you weren't entirely
sure whether it already existed.