Re: alter table add column implementation undesirable?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Forest Wilkinson <fspam(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alter table add column implementation undesirable?
Date: 2000-11-09 15:31:23
Lists: pgsql-sql
Forest Wilkinson <fspam(at)home(dot)com> writes:
> A coworker told me that the postgres implementation of ALTER TABLE ADD
> COLUMN creates an inefficient database.

Dunno where he got that idea.

There are some problems lurking in ADD COLUMN when used on a table with
inheritance children --- the new column is added to the children too, as
it should be, but in an unexpected column position, which causes trouble
for pg_dump (a dump and reload will do the wrong thing).  Perhaps what
you heard is a garbled report of that issue.