Re: PostgreSQL-9.0.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Venkat Balaji <venkat(dot)balaji(at)verse(dot)in>
Cc: Raghavendra <raghavendra(dot)rao(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL-9.0.1
Date: 2011-08-19 13:51:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Venkat Balaji <venkat(dot)balaji(at)verse(dot)in> writes:
> I believe, there must be some options to be used with make.

No, the make command should just be "make". Any options that are needed
would be supplied at the configure step.

> pg_backup_archiver.o: In function `SetOutput':
> pg_backup_archiver.c:(.text+0x2b6f): undefined reference to `gzopen64'

FWIW, this seems to indicate a mismatch between the zlib.h you're using
and the libz.so you're linking to. The PG sources do not reference
gzopen64, but some versions of zlib.h conditionally #define gzopen as
gzopen64 --- in which case it'd better be used with a library that
actually provides that symbol. Evidently the one that the linker is
finding does not. If I had to bet based on this much information,
I'd bet on a manual zlib installation that doesn't match the system's
libz.so, and for which you forgot to do the ldconfig magic needed to get
the linker to actually pick yours instead of the /usr/lib one.