Re: Dynamic linking on AIX

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, RoccoA(at)Routescape(dot)com
Subject: Re: Dynamic linking on AIX
Date: 2006-09-19 15:40:22
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at> writes:
> This is a second try; this patch replaces
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-09/msg00185.php

Looks good, applied.

> The line in src/makefiles/Makefile.aix
> where I set 'libpath' also seems pretty ugly to me.
> It will fail if there is a -L path that contains
> a blank :^(

We were already assuming no spaces in -L switches, see the $filter
manipulations in Makefile.shlib. So I simplified it to

libpath := $(shell echo $(subst -L,:,$(filter -L/%,$(LDFLAGS))) | sed -e's/ //g'):/usr/lib:/lib

It's annoying to have to shell out to sed to get rid of the spaces, but
this is gmake's fault for having such a brain-dead function call syntax.
After looking at the gmake manual, it is possible to use $subst to get
rid of spaces, but it's even uglier (and much harder to follow) than
the above ...