Res: UPDATE and DELEte with a lot of register is to slow...

From: paulo matadr <saddoness(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Res: UPDATE and DELEte with a lot of register is to slow...
Date: 2008-11-20 19:04:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

did you make analyse(vacuum ) in you database?

________________________________
De: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Para: John Dizaro <jedsoftware(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 20 de Novembro de 2008 8:29:55

John Dizaro wrote:
> I have to execute some times an UPDATE an some times a DELETE to
> register +- 50000 , every time when i do that the database be to slow
> do we any way to DELETE or UPDATE by part???

I'm not sure your post really contains enough information to answer your question.

If you are having problems with slow DELETEs, could it be a problem with a foreign key that lacks an index on the referencing (rather than referenced) column?

What do you mean by "to register 50000" ? Do you mean "affecting 50,000 rows" ?

Just how slow do you mean? Is the problem that the UPDATE or DELETE takes a long time, or that it slows down other queries?

--
Craig Ringer