Re: BUG #3682: Incomplete database restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Gary Chambers <gwchamb(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #3682: Incomplete database restore
Date: 2007-10-22 14:40:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 04:24:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm pretty uncomfortable with the notion of having pg_dump deliberately
>> throw data away.  Another problem is that even if we did that, it would
>> only help people who dumped their old DB with 8.3 pg_dump.

> Don't we already say you should use 8.3 pg_dump to dump your old db when
> upgrading?

We recommend that, but we've never required it, and in a lot of scenarios
it's not all that practical to expect people to do that.  In any case it
would be more sensible to put the functionality in pg_restore, if we
were going to do any such thing.

What I'm more worried about is that none of the proposed solutions will
help someone with a pg_dumpall dump, since that will be a flat SQL
script ...