Re: Extraneous newlines in logfile from vacuumdb

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Landscheidt <tim(at)tim-landscheidt(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extraneous newlines in logfile from vacuumdb
Date: 2009-10-27 21:09:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tim Landscheidt <tim(at)tim-landscheidt(dot)de> writes:
> log file entries from running vacuumdb are "double-spaced",
> as vacuumdb ends the commands with ";\n" (cf. attached mini-
> patch). Is there a deeper meaning in that, or could it be
> trimmed?

There are a LOT of clients that tend to send queries with trailing
newlines; I'm pretty sure that both pg_dump and psql have instances of
that, for example.  If we were to do something about this, which I'm
entirely unconvinced we should, it'd be better to strip trailing
whitespace from the logged query inside the backend.