Re: collation

From: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Steve_Miller(at)sil(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: collation
Date: 2003-01-29 11:46:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Steve Miller writes:

> The idea that the locale will be available to the OS is quite intriguing.
> I'm assuming you're talking about Linux. We're spending months of time
> finding a workaround for custom locales in Windows.

setlocale() and localedef should be in any Unix-like OS with locale
support, including Linux. I don't know when they were standardised
but they're certainly in the "Single Unix Standard, version 2" aka
UNIX98:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/localedef.html
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/setlocale.html

setlocale() is in ISO C (aka ANSI C) too. localedef probably isn't,
since it is an operating system utility.

I can't help you with Windows, I'm afraid, but good luck.

Regards,

Giles