Re: Ctid chain following enhancement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ctid chain following enhancement
Date: 2007-01-27 16:16:01
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Attached is a patch which should marginally improve the ctid chain followin
> code path when current and the next tuple in the chain are in the same
> block.

It looks to me that you have introduced a buffer leak into
heap_get_latest_tid ... which is quite unlikely to be worth optimizing
anyway. EvalPlanQual is not exactly a performance-critical path either,
and given how hard that code is to understand at all, complicating it
for marginal performance gains seems dubious.