Re: BUG #1443: Can't start service of Postgres

From: Heiko Nocon <Heiko(dot)Nocon(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1443: Can't start service of Postgres
Date: 2005-01-30 11:20:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"phucle" wrote:

>   I installed Postgres 8.0 sucessfully and ran Ok but when I restarted my
>computer, Postgres could not start. When I checked in windows service, I
>realized that Postgres service did not start. I tried to start manual but
>could not start

I encoutered a similar problem on an laptop computer with an defective
network adapter plug. Sometimes the defective plug leads to lost of the
software network interface and this forces postgres to hang. OK, that's
not a problem of postgre, but this accident unhides a postgre-bug.

The hanging postgre instance isn't able to delete the it's lockfile
postmaster.pid when shutting down. The further existence of this file
will avoid any start of the pgsql service in the future, even after a
reboot.

You've to delete this file manually.

I think that this is a bug. Not the simple existence of a lockfile
should prohibit instances from run, but only the existence of an already
opened lockfile.