Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL
Date: 2010-03-25 02:14:37
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> OK. How about making the startup process emit WARNING, stop WAL replay and
> wait for the presence of trigger file, when an invalid record is found?
> Which keeps the server up for readonly queries. And if the trigger file is
> found, I think that the startup process should emit a FATAL, i.e., the
> server should exit immediately, to prevent the server from becoming the
> primary in a half-finished state. Also to allow such a halfway failover,
> we should provide fast failover mode as pg_standby does?

I find it extremely scary to read this sort of blue-sky design
discussion going on now, two months after we were supposedly
feature-frozen for 9.0. We need to be looking for the *rock bottom
minimum* amount of work to do to get 9.0 out the door in a usable
state; not what would be nice to have later on.