Re: URGENT HELP about 'duration' stats

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Camilo Porto <camiloporto(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: URGENT HELP about 'duration' stats
Date: 2007-10-27 03:06:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Camilo Porto <camiloporto(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> The problem I have encountered is that the sum of executor's
> duration time is, *sometimes*, bigger than the total time interval in
> which the statements had been executed!! And this makes no sense!

Umm ... why not?  If you have, say, two queries executing in parallel
for 1 second, they'll each report a duration: of 1 second, thus summing
to 2 seconds, but the elapsed time was only 1 second.

If you don't see that always, then your benchmark program isn't trying
very hard to run more than one query in parallel ...