Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0beta5 results w/ dbt2
Date: 2004-11-30 04:35:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org> writes:
> I have some initial results using 8.0beta5 with our OLTP workload.
> Off the bat I see about a 23% improvement in overall throughput.

Between beta4 and beta5?  That's astonishing.  We didn't really do very
much that was performance-focused.  Digging in the CVS logs, I see only
some changes intended to speed up subtransaction commit, which I suppose
is not relevant to your benchmark, plus these two changes:

	* src/backend/access/: hash/hash.c, nbtree/nbtree.c:
	Micro-optimization of markpos() and restrpos() in btree and hash
	indexes.  Rather than using ReadBuffer() to increment the reference
	count on an already-pinned buffer, we should use
	IncrBufferRefCount() as it is faster and does not require acquiring
	the BufMgrLock.

	* src/backend/optimizer/util/clauses.c: Allow planner to fold
	"stable" functions to constants when forming selectivity estimates,
	per recent discussion.

Given the right sort of queries I suppose the second change might create
a significant improvement, but I wasn't expecting 23% on a
general-purpose benchmark...