Re: Bug (and fix): leaks of TCP connections when connected

From: "Marcus Andree S(dot) Magalhaes" <marcus(dot)magalhaes(at)vlinfo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: <sylvain(dot)laurent(at)elca(dot)ch>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug (and fix): leaks of TCP connections when connected
Date: 2004-06-22 02:57:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

<snip>

> In theory the discarded connections should eventually be garbage
> collected and closed, right? So at least the leak is bounded.

I don't think so. We had a similar problem here.

After many hours of debugging, we came to the fact that either
java garbage collector does _not_ close open connections or do it
after a long time (much longer than one would expect).
This feature/bug caused a severe connection leak in our code and
we had to issue a explicit close() to our socket connections.