Re: pass in array to function for use by where clause? how optimize?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pass in array to function for use by where clause? how optimize?
Date: 2011-04-13 16:15:33
Lists: pgsql-sql

Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 04/13/2011 09:09 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Anish Kejariwal<anishkej(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>> (select store_id, avg(sales) sales
>>> from store
>>> where group_id in(select $1[i] from generate_subscripts($1, 1) g(i))

>> Seems like a pretty brute-force way to deal with the array. Try
>> where group_id = any($1)
>> Not sure if it'll be a great deal faster, but it's at least easier to
>> write.

> Would adding a subservient function which actually uses the value of the
> iteration (group_id) as a single parameter be of any use?

Well, it'd be unlikely to solve the OP's actual complaint, which was
performance. Hiding the semantics from the planner via a function
(which generally looks like a black box to the planner) is even worse
than hiding the semantics in a sub-SELECT, which I think is probably
the root cause of the performance issue here.