Re: [GENERAL] ident fails on win2k host...

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <rsanford(at)nolimitsystems(dot)com>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ident fails on win2k host...
Date: 2001-12-03 20:37:30
Lists: pgsql-cygwinpgsql-general
It's rumoured that Tom Lane once said:
> "Robert J. Sanford, Jr." <rsanford(at)nolimitsystems(dot)com> writes:
>> does ident authentication work under win2k?
>
> AFAIK it should work; it doesn't depend on anything special on the
> server machine.  The questions you need to be asking are
> (a) does the *client* machine have an ident daemon running;
> (b) can you reach that ident daemon's port (here's where the firewall
> might come in);
> (c) do you trust that ident daemon to tell you the truth (some would
> say that a machine outside your firewall is ipso facto not to be
> trusted);
> (d) have you set up an appropriate ident mapping in the postgres config
> files?
>
> See the documentation.  I don't think the fact that you are running the
> server on top of cygwin affects any of these issues.
>
> If you're not clear on why ident auth is failing, look in the
> postmaster's logfile for the logged error message, which should
> be more informative than the rejection sent to the client.
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Win2K doesn't have a native ident service. In my other post on this thread
a couple of minutes ago I quoted that I didn't think this ident would work
on 2K - due to a minor brain failure I actually meant the failure was on
the client side as Tom points out. If your client is Win2K as well, you
might find that an identd will run under Cygwin which should help solve
your problem.

Dave.