Re: Patch: Tie stats options to autovacuum in

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Tie stats options to autovacuum in
Date: 2006-10-03 01:43:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Oct 2, 2006, at 9:17 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:

>>> The problem with refusing to start is that autovacuum is sighup, so
>>> you
>>> might modify postgresql.conf and do a server restart, and then the
>>> server doesn't start. Are people OK with that?
>>>
>>> I did apply the postgresql.conf comment addition.
>>
>> Hrm... how about if the options are incompatible on HUP we refuse to
>> pick up any new settings and complain loudly?
>
> We don't read postgresql.conf as a test and then set values.

IMHO we should... if something got botched in the config file I'd
rather have it complain and not change anything instead of taking
just some of the changes. This will be even more important once the
code goes in to return to default values if something gets commented
out in the config.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net