Re: Embedding postgresql in my application

From: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Murray Cumming" <murrayc(at)murrayc(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Embedding postgresql in my application
Date: 2006-12-16 11:55:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, December 16, 2006 18:47, Murray Cumming wrote:

> Well, I want multiple users, from multiple networked computers to be
> able to use the database simultaneously. TCP/IP seems the logical way to
> do this.

Ah--I had not understood that you wanted to access the database remotely.
But in that case, in what sense would the database be "embedded" in your
application!?

>> Yes. Except for the createuser: if user X owns these directories and
>> postgres is started under user identity X, then X is automatically
>> (well,
>> by default) the superuser for that database. No need to create it.
>
> Are we talking about a Linux user or Postgres user as "user X"? I
> thought they were separate lists of users.

They are. But if you're on a local connection, as I had been assuming,
you can couple them which is often both safe and convenient.

>> There's the configuration files, of course, in /etc/postgresql*. You'll
>> have to look up the necessary options to replace those with local
>> versions.
>
> Is there no way to put the configuration file in the directory too?

Certainly. You'll just have to look up the necessary options to replace
the default configuration files with your local versions.

Jeroen