Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow
Date: 2006-01-20 22:50:36
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net> writes:
> For an even more extreme speedup, don't most modern CPUs have an asm
> instruction that counts the bits (un)set (AKA "population counting")
> in various size entities (4b, 8b, 16b, 32b, 64b, and 128b for 64b
> CPUs with SWAR instructions)?

Yeah, but fetching from a small constant table is pretty quick too;
I doubt it's worth getting involved in machine-specific assembly code
for this. I'm much more interested in the idea of improving the
furthest-distance algorithm in gtsvector_picksplit --- if we can do
that, it'll probably drop the distance calculation down to the point
where it's not really worth the trouble to assembly-code it.