Re: BUG #6425: Bus error in slot_deform_tuple

From: Duncan Rance <postgres(at)dunquino(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6425: Bus error in slot_deform_tuple
Date: 2012-02-01 17:32:57
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
On 1 Feb 2012, at 16:04, Tom Lane wrote:

> postgres(at)dunquino(dot)com writes:
>> This is intermittent and hard to reproduce but crashes consistently in the
>> same place. That place is backend/access/common/heaptuple.c line 1104:
>> This system is using streaming replication, and the problem always occurrs
>> on the secondary.
>
> Have you read the thread about bug #6200?  I'm suspicious that this is
> the same or similar problem, with a slightly different visible symptom
> because of pickier hardware.  I'm afraid we don't know what's going on
> yet there either, but the idea that t_hoff is wrong gives us a new line
> of thought.
>
> 			regards, tom lane

I didn't find 6200 when looking for mentions of this problem. So thanks for that.

I have read the thread now and I guess it could be the same kind of thing. I have tried creating a cut-down version of what is happening for real, but that didn't  cause the problem.

I do have a bunch of core files, but I'm not (yet!) familiar with pg code so I am unable to usefully analyse it.

One idea I saw mentioned in #6200 is of using another HS. I didn't think of that before. I may try creating another (or more) of them to see if I can reproduce it more quickly.

Regards,
orval