Re: performance config help

From: Bob Dusek <redusek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance config help
Date: 2010-01-11 17:54:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Kevin Grittner <
Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:

> Bob Dusek <redusek(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> >> What method of striped RAID?
> >
> > RAID-0
>
> I hope you have a plan for what to do when any one drive in this
> array fails, and the entire array is unusable.

Point noted.

> Anyway, my benchmarks tend to show that best throughput occurs at
> about (CPU_count * 2) plus effective_spindle_count. Since you seem
> to be fully cached, effective_spindle_count would be zero, so I
> would expect performance to start to degrade when you have more than
> about 32 sessions active.

That's a little disheartening for a single or dual CPU system.

> > We actually see degredation when we get more than 40 concurrent
> > requests.
>
> Close enough.
>
> > when we run 200+ requests, we see multi-second queries.
>
> No surprise there. Your vmstat output suggests that context
> switches are becoming a problem, and I wouldn't be surprised if I
> heard that the network is an issue. You might want to have someone
> take a look at the network side to check.

This is all happening on a LAN, and network throughput doesn't seem to be an
issue. It may be a busy network, but I'm not sure about a problem. Can you
elaborate on your suspicion, based on the vmstat? I haven't used vmstat
much.

> You want to use some connection pooling which queues requests when
> more than some configurable number of connections is already active
> with a request. You probably want to run that on the server side.
> As for the postgresql.conf, could you show what you have right now,
> excluding all comments?

The problem with connection pooling is that we actually have to achieve more
than 40 per second, which happens to be the sweet spot with our current
config.

I posted our changes from the default in a reply to another message. I
don't want to duplicate. Can you check those out?