performance config help

From: Bob Dusek <redusek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: performance config help
Date: 2010-01-11 13:44:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

We're running Postgres 8.4.2 on Red Hat 5, on pretty hefty hardware...

4X E7420 Xeon, Four cores (for a total of 16 cores)
2.13 GHz, 8M Cache, 1066 Mhz FSB
32 Gigs of RAM
15 K RPM drives in striped raid

Things run fine, but when we get a lot of concurrent queries running, we see
a pretty good slow down.

We don't have much experience with this sort of hardware. Does anyone have
an example config file we could use as a good starting point for this sort
of hardware?

We have a fair amount of row-level inserts and deletes going on (probably as
much data is inserted and deleted in a day than permanently resides in the
db).

Bob