Re: Postgres 7 on Alpha

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Roger Wernersson <roger(dot)wernersson(at)mindark(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 7 on Alpha
Date: 2000-11-07 15:47:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Roger Wernersson <roger(dot)wernersson(at)mindark(dot)com> writes:
> I have an old Alpha system which I use as a database server. I have
> successufully run Postgres 6.5 on it but needed to upgrade to Postgres 7
> to solve some problems. I downloaded the source of 7.0.2 as I could not
> find any RPM of Postgres 7 for Alpha.

> FATAL: s_lock(20306f80) at spin.c:116, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

According to my notes, this happens if you compile with -O2 on at least
some versions of Alpha egcs. Try -O0 instead. There are still some
glitches exposed by the regress tests, though, particularly in date/time
handling. Now that we have an Alpha box available to the project, the
problems in this port should get cleaned up for 7.1. (Given a favorable
tailwind or 25 hours in the day, that is ;-))