Re: Open Sourcing pgManage

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Open Sourcing pgManage
Date: 2003-11-05 15:20:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu (Greg Stark) writes:

>> I think there is room for lots of GUIs, though, and having a Java
>> admin GUI would be cool too, as would having a servlet/JSP based
>> admin client deployable as a web archive.
>
> If someone's looking for an interesting GUI project, Applix had a
> database frontend that was geared more for data rather than DDL. It
> presented a spreadsheet-like interface for arbitrary sql queries and
> handled dealing with arbitrary sized result sets and allowing
> editing of fields using primary keys etc.
>
> It was actually part of their open source release. I looked at
> trying to pull it out of their build system and package it up
> independently a while back. It was a bit of a pain. But I did manage
> to get it compiled and up and running against Oracle at the
> time. The main pain was getting the ODBC drivers set up.
>
> Getting that working smoothly with postgres and actively developed
> could make for a really nice DML tool.

Was that a 'native' part of SHELF? Or more related to their "TM1"
product?

FYI, while Applix and VistaSource have "orphaned" it, source code for
SHELF is still available at SourceForge.

ftp://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/shelf/

It was written for GTK 1.2; we're up to much newer stuff, and it's not
self-evident that it will play with newer versions. (Old versions are
presumably still available and quasi-usable...)
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html