Re: postgresql cluster on SAN

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql cluster on SAN
Date: 2005-09-21 13:06:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

robertngo(at)perridot(dot)com (Robert Ngo) writes:

> Robert Ngo wrote:
>
>> Chris Browne wrote:

>>> What you wish can NOT be done.
>>>
>>> There can only be ONE postmaster for each database cluster; you can
>>> NOT have multiple servers sharing a single cluster.
>>>
>> so there is no ways for the file storage to be shared between
>> postgres cluster? Then i will need to add a huge amount of storage
>> every time new server is added.
>>
> Is there any way i can reduce the storage requirement of the database
> server cluster?

Well, the base amount of storage for each instance is only about 26MB.

sh-3.00$ /opt/OXRS/dbs/pgsql8/bin/initdb -D .
Success. You can now start the database server using:

/opt/OXRS/dbs/pgsql8/bin/postmaster -D .
or
/opt/OXRS/dbs/pgsql8/bin/pg_ctl -D . -l logfile start

sh-3.00$ du
176 ./global
4 ./pg_xlog/archive_status
16412 ./pg_xlog
12 ./pg_clog
12 ./pg_subtrans
4640 ./base/1
4704 ./base/17229
9348 ./base
4 ./pg_tblspc
25992 .
sh-3.00$

For any sort of interesting-sized database, this bit of overhead,
which is mostly WAL files, doesn't strike me as being terribly
material. I can't see 26MB being considered "huge" in a SAN context.

You only need additional storage (beyond that) when your applications
are actually requesting to store data. There is no magical way to
avoid that need for additional storage.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html