Re: 2003 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2003 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award
Date: 2004-01-12 18:49:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in (Sai Hertz And Control Systems) writes:
> This must ring alarm bells and we must look into the matter as what
> is making postgresql adoption such a slow process insted of its very
> good features.

I don't think that has much of anything to do with anything.

Look at the statistics in the poll.

There were only a total of 1111 votes.

In the case of Firebird, there are some 78 developers listed on
SourceForge; if each of them tells three friends to go vote for
Firebird, that quickly gets them towards their 403 votes.

The size of the constituency of voters has two _vital_ problems:

1. It is tiny and self-selecting, thus making it highly likely to
be unrepresentative;

2. Furthermore, it is highly susceptible to "ballot-stuffing."

Drawing grand conclusions based on a tiny, clearly biasable sample at
a somewhat obscure web site is just silly.

Remember, that web site did NOT count any information about
"PostgreSQL adoption;" all it did was to ask people to "vote" for
whatever database they wanted to see win the vote.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>