Re: COPY FROM STDIN fails inside Pl/pgSQL function or in PgAdmin , but ok in psql

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY FROM STDIN fails inside Pl/pgSQL function or in PgAdmin , but ok in psql
Date: 2005-08-29 22:16:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

smacedo(at)calmetric(dot)pt ("Silvio Macedo") writes:
> (Pg 8.0.3 on Windows XP SP2, client psql, ODBC and pgAdmin )

> function, nor a pgAdmin SQL window, and not on a ODBC command...

I believe that it's because inside "those places," you don't have
either a stdin or a stdout.

One of our folks ran into the same situation, and the same surprise.

See:
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-07/msg00949.php>
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-07/msg01067.php>
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-07/msg00997.php>

Bruno Wolfe suggests the problem is because pl/pgsql is considered a
"trusted" language, which thus shouldn't be able to read/write files.

In a more recent CVS, Tom points out that this elicits a more
meaningful error message:

ERROR: cannot COPY to/from client in PL/pgSQL
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "build_table" line 2 at execute statement

He also points out that this is taking place inside a SELECT, and that
the client library would likely get confused at this 'abuse' of the
protocol...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/emacs.html