Re: Please guide me.

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please guide me.
Date: 2005-12-17 21:16:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
praveen(dot)k(at)renaissance-it(dot)com ("Praveen Kumar (TUV)") writes:
> I have install postgresql on Redhat AS 4.Now we want to migrate data
> from oracle 8i to postgresql 8.1 and  want to create snapshots ,
> materialized view,dblink,taking online backup,logical backup and
> establish replication  between three production server.Plz tell me
> which documents,links and books I should follow for getting
> knowledge

For many of these things, you are using what appears to be terminology
*very* specific to Oracle.  PostgreSQL isn't Oracle, so things are not
implemented the same, and certainly don't follow Oracle's use of
terminology.

For instance, I can think of several possible meanings for
"snapshots."  And it seems obvious that no one would be such an idiot
as to ask for an "illogical backup."

There is a section in the documentation on backups; you should avail
yourself of that, immediately, as it explains various sorts of backup
"machinery" that is available.

As for replication, if you need single master to multiple slave
asynchronous replication, see <http://slony.info/>.  The 1.1.5 release
of Slony-I, which supports PostgreSQL 8.1, should be available in the
coming week.

You will find it more useful to describe what you *want*.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/slony.html