Re: Reasoning behind process instead of thread based

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reasoning behind process instead of thread based
Date: 2004-10-29 19:47:22
Lists: pgsql-general
nd02tsk(at)student(dot)hig(dot)se writes:
>>Two:  If a
>> single process in a multi-process application crashes, that process
>> alone dies.  The buffer is flushed, and all the other child processes
>> continue happily along.  In a multi-threaded environment, when one
>> thread dies, they all die.
>
> So this means that if a single connection thread dies in MySQL, all
> connections die?

Yes, that's right.

> Seems rather serious. I am doubtful that is how they have
> implemented it.

If it's a multithreaded application, then there is nothing to doubt
about the matter.  If any thread dies, the whole process croaks, and
there's no choice in the matter.  If a thread has been corrupted to
the point of crashing, then the entire process has been corrupted.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html