Re: SQL generator

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL generator
Date: 2006-07-25 20:39:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Bit Byter" <takashi_949(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> I would like to know what the underlying SQL statement will look
> like, so that I can use this knowlege to build a generic parser that
> creates SQL statements from the "English like" text, using the
> syntax I described above.

I seem to recall that Lotus tried doing this once upon a time with
trying to build an "english-like" interface for doing "business
intelligence-like" queries against spreadsheets.

Nobody likely remembers HAL; it was underwhelmingly useful.

In effect, anyone that was skilful enough at composing "English-like"
queries to get HAL to work was likely to find the "native" methods
more convenient.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxxian.html