Re: postgres in realtime mode

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres in realtime mode
Date: 2006-06-28 19:43:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

quick(dot)nitin(at)gmail(dot)com ("nitin quick") writes:
> hello everybody,
> i am using postgres for someime now for storing my maps etc.
> Can postgresql can be used in real time domain. I may be using open source rtlinux as rtos.
> I mean how i can show it is working as real time os.
> Is sth on this issue already available ?

Real Time systems generally mandate that tasks are guaranteed to
complete without more than some pre-defined amount of delay.

SQL introduces considerable nondeterminism in that different queries
that look much the same may have dramatically different performance
characteristics.

I don't think you'll be able to guarantee that all queries will
complete in less than some given interval of time.

It's entirely likely that PostgreSQL can run atop some RTOSes; I don't
think it could be safely considered as a candidate component for a
real time system without taking exceeding care to ensure that database
operations were selected carefully.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/languages.html