Re: Is PostGreSql's Data storage mechanism "inferior"?

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is PostGreSql's Data storage mechanism "inferior"?
Date: 2008-02-01 17:01:48
Lists: pgsql-general

andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com ("Andrej Ricnik-Bay") writes:
> On 01/02/2008, Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com> wrote:
>> The part about the BSD license is bogus. A BSD license is the most
>> desirable of any Open Source license and gives you the right to use
>> PostgreSQL in your commercial apps without worry.

> While I'm a big fan of the BSD license (for varied reasons) I think that
> OpenSource hardliners like RMS would argue that the BSD license is *NOT*
> in the true spirit of OpenSource *BECAUSE* of what you list as a bonus
> of it ... the locking down of benefits reaped from OpenSource not getting
> back into the stream.

RMS wouldn't argue that, because he is uninterested in "OpenSource."
That's a term created/popularized by Eric Raymond, who is no friend of
RMS.

RMS is interested in "free software," and considers various
"BSD-related" licenses to be reasonable choices for free software.

<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html>

He'd prefer that people use the GPL, but I don't think there's
anything overly "hard line" about the notion of the author of a
license preferring it to others. It would seem mighty odd if he said
something like "I wrote the GPL, but think you should use the <Foo
License> instead."
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxxian.html