Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ROI on 7.2 to 8.2
Date: 2007-08-21 22:08:13
Lists: pgsql-admin
montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com ("Medi Montaseri") writes:
> I have finally convinced my manager to "consider" the idea of
> migrating from 7.2 to 8.2. Obviously he needs an ROI (Return Of
> Investment) analysis (in a technical sense).  So, I am wondering if
> anyone has worked on a similar project where you had to go thru the
> release notes and bug fixes to compile such a motivational speech
> and willing to share.  Otherwise, as many links you can provide
> would be nice.

You can simply look at the release notes for 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, and
8.2.

You can find them here:
  <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release.html>

More specifically, you can find them at these URLs.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-7-3.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-7-4.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-8-0.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-8-1.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-8-2.html

Print off the contents of those five URLs, and you'll find somewhere
between 40 and 50 pages worth of _brief listings_ of bug fixes and
enhancements.  Drop that pile of paper on his foot and ask if he
thinks it seems heavy enough to seem significant.

Add to that the other folks' arguments:

 - There be "database eating bugs" there that be fixed in later
   releases.
 - Nobody is interested in supporting problems you have with such an
   ancient version.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/internet.html