Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
Date: 2003-11-12 17:27:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
pg(at)rbt(dot)ca (Rod Taylor) writes:
> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 11:46, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> >Do they require you to sign over the copyright even if you do not wish
>> >to include your code in their distribution but intend to simply fork it?
>> >
>> No that would be illegal.
>
> I was unsure whether they used a modified GPL which could have such a
> restriction.

But the _practical_ restriction is the important one.

If MySQL AB were to include others' contributions _without_ an
assignment of copyright, then that would prevent inclusion of such
contributions in the 'proprietary fork.'

That would outright *destroy* their business model based on charging
licensing fees on the 'commercially licensed' version.
--
output = reverse("ofni.smrytrebil" "@" "enworbbc")
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>