Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of
Date: 2006-03-30 17:22:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com ("Craig A. James") writes:

> Gorshkov wrote:
>> /flame on
>> if you were *that* worried about performance, you wouldn't be using
>> PHP or *any* interperted language
>> /flame off
>> sorry - couldn't resist it :-)
>
> I hope this was just a joke. You should be sure to clarify - there
> might be some newbie out there who thinks you are seriously
> suggesting coding major web sites in some old-fashioned compiled
> language.

Actually, this seems not so bad a point...

If people are so interested in micro-managing certain bits of how
performance works, then it seems an excellent question to ask why NOT
write all the CGIs in C.

After all, CGI in C *won't* suffer from the performance troubles
associated with repetitively loading in Perl/PHP frameworks (which is
why things like FastCGI, mod_perl, and such came about), and you can
get a fair level of assurance that the compiled C won't be the
performance bottleneck.

And yes, it does become natural to ask "why not write CGIs in ASM?"
;-)
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/lisp.html