Re: we don't have a bugzilla

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: we don't have a bugzilla
Date: 2008-04-28 15:55:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers
andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net (Andrew Dunstan) writes:
> Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
>> would seem like a good idea, no ?
> Before you come trolling on this (or any other) subject, please read
> the voluminous debates that have taken place about it. Apparently you
> think it's something we have never considered, which in light of the
> product we maintain would be more than remarkable.
> Having done that, please endeavour to make an actual contribution to
> the discussion.

This seems more than a tad unfair.

Yes, it is certainly fair to observe that there have been voluminous
debates.  But it will take a whole lot of "trolling around" in the
archives to figure out the shape of the *conclusions* of those

Seeming relevant conclusions:

- Yes, there probably ought to be some sort of structured bug tracker.

- HOWEVER, there are many who prefer to use email for their work, as
  opposed to being forced into some sort of "webby thing."

- That being said, experimentation is taking place for the
  "commitfests" with using a wiki to track statuses of patches and

- It is hoped that out of this experimentation, patterns surrounding
  what is *truly* needful to structure will emerge.  There is reason
  to be hopeful about this, as the wiki-based process has been showing
  some useful structures to impose already.
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || '';
"I find it hard to believe a professional programmer could support the
concept of Open Source." -- David J. Owens <owensdj(at)home(dot)net>